Next Generation Technology for Energy-from-Waste
For the past 25 years, Covanta Energy has led in the development of greener technologies for processing post-recycled municipal solid waste (MSW) to generate clean, renewable energy. Covanta Energy has formally announced its successful completion of commercial demonstration testing on a first-of-its-kind gasification technology, CLEERGAS™, or Covanta Low Emission Energy Recovery Gasification. Covanta’s CLEERGAS™ system converts unprocessed, post-recycled MSW into a synthesis gas, or syngas, which is then processed for energy recovery with very low emissions.
How Does It Work?
MSW, which does not have to be pre-processed in any way, is subjected to high temperatures and reduced air on the gasification platform, where it undergoes a chemical reaction that creates a synthesis gas, or syngas. The syngas is then combusted and processed through an established energy recovery system, followed by a state-of-the-art emissions control system.
Watch a video about CLEERGAS produced by the ASME
The CLEERGAS™ Advantage
- The CLEERGAS™ advanced control system is proven in a commercial operating environment to yield predictable and stable syngas from variable MSW fed into the gasifier. Covanta’s gasification unit has been processing 350 tons per day of post-recycled MSW and has demonstrated superior reliability at more than 95% availability.
- It is not necessary to further process as-received, post-recycled MSW. Other gasification technologies require costly shredding and/or preprocessing.
- The CLEERGAS™ process requires much less air than waste combustion leading to smaller, less costly equipment.
- The use of less air in syngas combustion versus conventional waste combustion also results in higher energy recovery efficiency, reduced boiler fouling and corrosion, and minimal formation of pollutants such as nitrogen oxides.
- Customers get a proven owner/operator who will guarantee the performance of the product and deliver systems on time and within budget.
- CLEERGAS™ systems are modular and adaptable to meet the needs of both large and small communities.
- A standard 300 tons per day CLEERGAS™ modular plant will produce 6-8 MW of clean, renewable energy.
Begin your commitment to smarter waste solutions and lowering greenhouse gases today. Call a CLEERGASTM representative at 862.345.5000.